Friday, May 08, 2009

Mango And Strawberry Breakfast Salad


Dicing a mango.


Day 8 of our “One Month Raw Food Cleanse”
You can just look at this hearty breakfast salad and know that it is full of powerful phytochemicals. It’s also very high in vitamins A and C and delivers nearly 10 grams of fiber per serving! On my raw food cleanse, I’ve been starting many mornings with smoothies so this morning I wanted something a bit heartier. Since I had 3 ripe mangos and I’m still working my way through a flat of strawberries, I thought I’d incorporate them into my breakfast salad.

Many people stay away from mangos because they are hard to peel. A chef taught me an easy way to do this. Holding a mango so that the seed is vertical to the cutting surface, slice off half the mango. Turn the half over and, with the tip of the knife, score it into little squares being careful not to penetrate the skin. Then pop it inside out and cut away the squares. Voila, you have diced mango! Do this to the other side. You’ll have some extra mango around the edges after doing both sides but just trim around the edges and salvage what you can. It’s worth the effort!

***

Mango And Strawberry Breakfast Salad [serves 2]
1 medium mango, diced
12 strawberries, sliced
1 medium apple, cored and diced
1 large banana, cut vertically and sliced into half moons
1/2 cup Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted “live” whole grain cereal*
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds

Mix the fruit, sunflower seeds and cereal. After mixing, let sit for a few minutes allowing the cereal to soften a bit.

Per serving: 345.5 calories, 5 g fat, .4 g saturated fat, 0 g cholesterol, 6.8 g protein, 73.3 g carbohydrate, 9.8 g fiber.

* As previously mentioned, there is some debate about the temperature at which the Ezekiel cereals are baked and whether or not they are really “raw”. They do claim that their baking techniques preserve the living food. Since it is so hard to consume enough grain in a raw food diet and the nutrients from this important food group are needed, I often eat this healthful cereal. My only issue with it, however, is how hard it is. If you soften it will some nut milk or juice or just let it sit in a fruit salad for a few minutes, it softens up.

Menu for Day 8
I started my day with our featured mango and strawberry breakfast salad. For lunch I will make more of Bernadette’s “everything in the garden salad” since I have a lot of the ingredients left. For dinner, I’m serving vegetarian sushi rolls with sprouts, avocado, other veggies and some dipping sauce. If it comes out ok, I’ll write it up and post it. For snacks, I’m trying out some onion crackers I made last night with a raw dip I haven’t invented yet. I’m craving grain so I may have a small bowl of brown rice. That will not derail the fast so if you feel a need to do that, steam a bowl of brown rice or quinoa and have that with your dinner.

No comments: