Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Daughter’s Raw Vegan Spicy Chipotle Gazpacho



Day 13 of our “One Month Raw Food Cleanse”
As I was talking to my daughter Linda yesterday about raw soups, she got inspired and whipped up this spicy chipotle gazpacho. When I was doing my raw food nutrition research for my dissertation, she went completely raw for several months. During that time, she created some of the most beautiful dishes I’ve ever seen and since we live on opposite coasts, she’d send me gorgeous photographs of them each day.

So here’s her recipe. You can also check out her wonderful organic products at
luluorganicsnyc.com or click her link below, “Luluiswho”.

***

Raw Vegan Spicy Chipotle Gazpacho By Linda Aldredge
[Serves 4]
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 medium tomatoes or 6 cups, diced
1 diced red pepper, half for soup and half for garnish
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 chipotle pepper (rehydrate a dried one or use the ones canned in adobo or you can use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder, more or less to taste)
3 pitted jumbo Medjool dates, soaked
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 avocado, diced for garnish
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped for garnish
Kernels from 1 ear white corn
1/2 green onion, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)

Combine water, oil, tomatoes, 1/2 of the red pepper, garlic, chipotle, dates, lime juice and sea salt in a Vita Mix or other high speed blender. Blend until smooth and pour into four bowls. Garnish with the other 1/2 of the red pepper, corn, avocado, cilantro and green onion and serve.

Per serving: 303 calories, 19.5 g fat, 2.8 g saturated fat, 0 g cholesterol, 4.8 g protein, 33 g carbohydrates and 7.8 g of fiber.

Menu for Day 13
Breakfast was a berry smoothie with strawberries, blueberries, pear, almonds, brazil nuts and flax seed oil. We’re going out for lunch so I’ll probably have a raw salad. My sprouted lentil crackers and pizza crust just came out of the dehydrator so I’ll be experimenting with raw pizza tonight (yumm). For a snack today, I’ll be munching on these crackers with almond butter. Dessert will be cantaloupe with raw nut crumble.

1 comment:

kidshaus.typepad.com said...

this soup looks amazing and i'm going to try to make it this week. i'm starting to dabble in a raw food diet but i've found it a little tricky to do while trying to make non-raw food for my young daughters. i'm learning how to sprout, dehydrate and eat more raw foods every day though - so it's nice to see your blog and daily posts of your recipes. thanks!